-
August 20th, 2004, 03:11 AM
#11
Inactive Member
wilcal wrote:
>I do not plan on reproducing this thing in
any way shape or form.
====
But some of us might want to. Although I have no interest in building one, I'd sure love to see a box that can get _real_ bass out of a 416 - a speaker I dearly love, but which has disappointing bass response in most enclosures.
So, a couple of pictures or drawings would be greatly appreciated, if you can. Does the thing have a patent number on it?
Thanks for an intriguing lead!
taudo
-
August 20th, 2004, 03:42 AM
#12
Inactive Member
Todd wrote:
>BLASPHEMY!
Try and ALTEC 3182 or 411A, anything but something from the people at JustBigandLoud!
====
Which brings up a couple of questions I've just got to ask:
1) What is the T/S efficiency of the 3182? It's not listed in the table on the Unofficial Website.
2) Do I recall reading that Iconic and/or GPA are bringing out an updated 3182?
3) [and sure to bring out a bunch of "too much is more better" comments] Just how much bass do we need for home stereo, anyway? I've just installed 2235's into my A7-500 systems and have found them to make an enormous positive difference. For giggles, I played a 20 Hz pink noise tone with an SPL meter hooked up about 2-3 meters in front of my systems. At a very modest 70 dB SPL, the 20 Hz tone made me think the house was going to shake apart! Cabinet doors flapped, china rattled, and light fixtures danced. This amount of resonance would make listening to music quite unpleasant. I can't imagine what 100 dB of 16 Hz would do! Do I have to re-engineer my house? [When I saw "Earthquake" with the Sensarround sound system at the Graumann theater in LA, there was a net suspended above the audience to keep falling stuff from hitting the paying customers]
4) While many folks talk about listening to 16 Hz organ fundamentals [conjuring up to me, at least, amusing "Captain Nemo" mental pictures]I've found that essentially none of the music I listen to has any appreciable content this low. So, do we really need bone-crushing response at 16 Hz?
With all that being said, I'll confess to a sick bass obsession and will probably consider getting some 3182's or similar bone-crushers when I run out of my current projects. But, in the meantime I'd like to know what others here think!
As I've said before - this is just _too_ much fun!
taudo
-
August 20th, 2004, 10:20 PM
#13
Inactive Member
GM,
This is a great and thoughtful way to look at it Thanks.
taudo
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks